Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Little about me

ROBERT MERTENS

“You may be wondering about my life and art. Here is a very brief introduction.

I began painting on the wall next to my crib with whatever materials came to hand. I imagine myself holding onto the crib bar with one hand and exploring mural painting with the other. It seemed OK with my parents (my mother is a very fine artist), so I was encouraged, and 64 years later am still making pictures.

My inner eye is always searching for new discoveries. When I sit down to make pictures there is a sense of adventure and mystery. “What will I find in there today?”

I start with simple motifs, such as flowers, hummingbirds, and butterflies. They inspire me with beauty and life energy. I place the motifs on my “light canvas” and begin to develop the color and space of my inner vision around the motifs. My way of working feels musical. There is a pulse and a song in it.

Like many artists, after a life of working in painting and photography, I now delight in what can be achieved with digital tools.

My process of working with an image may be complete in a few hours or may extend over years. Sometimes I will “finish” a picture and come back to it years later for further development in a new direction.

When I find something valuable, and am able to express it, I feel grateful and satisfied. I then choose to make prints of some of my images in limited and open editions.

The cycle is complete when I receive responses from people who own my art. I especially like comments like this one:

“l like your pictures, really beautiful colours and motives that make you calm inside when you look at them…”

Thank you for your interest in my work.”

No comments: